Dave Richards, Chairman
Tom Prosek, Trustee
Chris Bremer, Trustee
Keith Hanson, Gen. Mgr./Treasurer
Steve McIntosh, Operations Manager
Kasey Carpenter, System Operator
Bryauna Alderin, Office Manager/Clerk
The Salt Lake County Service Area #3 Board of Trustees meeting was called to order by Chairman Richards at 12:00 pm.
MEETING MINUTES APPROVAL –With a correction to the spelling of “the” in the water sampling section and a correction to the motion in Draft construction standards section, Trustee Bremer motioned to approve the minutes from the April 18th, 2022 Board meeting, Trustee Prosek seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
SYSTEM OPERATOR JOB POSTING- Mr. Carpenter reviewed the job posting. Mr. Carpenter stated the job was posted April 12th around Snowbird and to the Service Area website canyonwater.com. Mr. Hanson stated we are hopeful to find a candidate within the community, but, if necessary, we will post to outside sources. A copy of the job posting will be attached to the minutes for review.
SE GROUP GIS MAPPING SYSTEM - Mr. Hanson stated that the Service Area has been meeting with the SE Group in regards to updating the utility mapping for the Service Area in conjunction with Snowbird. Mr. Hanson reviewed the progress with the board. Mr. Hanson stated there will be another meeting this week to continue fine tuning map lines.
SYSTEMS OPERATIONS AND DEVELOPMENT-
HIDDEN PEAK WATER SYSTEM- Mr. Hanson stated this was discussed at last month’s meeting that the Hidden Peak water system tested positive for the presence of Coliform. Last week in preparation for monthly sampling Mr. Carpenter pulled an investigative sample from the kitchen and the raw water tank. The Kitchen sample tested negative and the raw water tested positive for the presence of Coliform. The raw water tanks on Hidden Peak were drained, flushed and chlorinated again by Mr. Carpenter. We will take further test to confirm the absence of coliform. We will continue to work closely with Snowbird to come up with a permanent solution to prevent this problem in the future.
Mr. Hanson gave a brief update of the following:
· Mid Gad spring improvement, Mr. Hanson is meeting with Snowbird staff and Aqua Engineering tomorrow to review the preliminary plans of the purposed spring improvements. We are working towards submitting the plans for project approval with the State Division of Drinking Water.
· Mr. Hanson discussed the regulation brought on by the EPA, Medium PWS registration for the Fifth unregulated contaminant monitoring rule published December 27th 2021. The UCMR 5 will require extra sampling to test for 29 per – and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) and lithium analysis during a 12-month period between 2023 and 2025. Mr. Hanson stated we have to submit our plan on how the Service Area is going to sample for unregulated contaminates by the end of 2022. The EPA will pay for sampling.
· Mr. Hanson received a letter from the Division of Drinking water in March detailing that the EPA has made a revision to the Lead and Copper rule. This rule change will affect all water systems. Based on the age of the Service Area there are no lead service lines, Mr. Hanson stated that the majority of the service lines in the Service Area are Copper, Ductile Iron or HDPE pipe. Mr. Hanson stated the Service Area is working on a plan on how the Service Area can get an inventory of service lines documented.
· The 3-year Division of Drinking Water Sanitary Survey has been scheduled for August 9th, 2022.
· A manhole ring and cover was broken at the Snowbird maintenance shop. Cottonwood Improvement District came up and replaced the manhole cover and ring. Cost of replacement/repair of $826.00 which will be billed back to Snowbird. Mr. Hanson stated he would like to replace the manhole with a more robust model and hopefully get more than 1-2 years of life.
· Sewer meter replacements. We are starting the process of replacing the main sewer meter and meter box, a new manhole, new communications system at the mouth of the canyon. We are also updating the connection and location for the sewer meter that monitors the Town of Alta’s flow. Snowbird has given permission to install the new Alta sewer meter readout on the transformer enclosure at the Cogeneration plant.
· The last 100’ of 12” ducting for the blower has been installed in the Tunnel.
· We are preparing for upgrades to the treatment plant in the Wasatch Drain Tunnel, we are planning on changing out some piping and a couple valves. Work will begin once we can rely on the Peruvian source.
· Town of Alta – Mr. Hanson met with the Mayor, Alta office staff and council member John Byrne. The discussion regarded the direction of the long-term capital improvements to the water system. The Town of Alta has come up with an adequate plan to fund capital improvements over the next 10 years to improve portions of the system.
· The Bay City Treatment Plant Filter B media shipped April 1st, has not been delivered as of today.
· Two Fire Hydrant lines are frozen up in the Alta system. The Town of Alta and Unified Fire have been informed of this issue. The Buckhorn and Goldminers hydrants that were insulated last fall was not enough and the line will have to be lowered in order to provide adequate fire safety.
· Mr. Hanson and Ms. Alderin have been working with Accountant Mr. Rowley to prepare financials for the upcoming 2021 Audit. Mr. Rowley has completed the majority of the work. Hoping to meet with Gilbert & Stewart in the next couple of weeks to move forward with the 2021 audit.
· Mr. Hanson stated SA3 received the 1st quarter sewage treatment bill from Cottonwood Improvement District. Mr. Hanson reviewed the 2021 1st quarter billing $38,758 for 12 million gallons. The 2022 1st quarter billing is $64,945 for 14 million gallons. The large increase is due to the 25% rate increase. Mr. Hanson stated that we have budgeted appropriately for the increase.
TREASURER’S REPORT -Mr. Hanson reviewed with the Board of Trustees, the Balance Sheet Previous Year Comparison report through March 31st 2022. The Profit and Loss Budget vs. Actual January 1st, 2022 through March 31st, 2022. These reports are emailed to members of the Board, prior to this Board meeting for their review. Financial reports are prepared by Salt Lake County Service Area #3. Copies of the financials are attached to the minutes.
APPROVAL OF BILLS PAID- Chairman Richards asked for a motion to approve the check detail. Trustee Bremer motioned to approve the bills listed on the check detail dated March 18th through April 14th 2022 as presented by Mr. Hanson hereby be authorized and ratified to be paid by the office manager. Trustee Prosek seconded the motion and it passed unanimously. Copies of the approved bills are attached to the minutes.
ADJOURNMENT- There being no further business to be discussed, Chairman Richards motioned to adjourn the meeting at 1:03 pm.
Salt Lake County Service Area #3-Snowbird